Our thoughts, our hearts, our prayers have been filled with Hadassah. How is she doing today, what are her numbers today, what did the doctors say today. Hadassah is our 11 year old 'niece', the daughter of our dear friends and cousins, Paul & Carol. Just 5 days ago she went to the hospital, and she's been diagnosed with dilated cardiomyopathy and congestive heart failure. She is doing well today with the help of modern medicine, and perhaps she may come home soon to continue treatment, but her future is uncertain (although for Christians, our eternal future is extremely certain!!). To follow Hadassah's story you may access their blog.
When faced with the reality of sin's consequences in this world, so painfully portrayed in children getting sick, we can be left feeling helpless and hopeless. We have dear friends with a severely handicapped baby, and we read the updates of a 5 year-old in my parents' church battling cancer, and earlier this year Duane's cousin died after struggling with cystic fibrosis all his life, and we remember the life and death of our precious 3-year old nephew Alex, and the daily care of special little Carolyn, and... it hurts. It's painful.
Now that we are parents, I think the feeling intensifies. We cover our children at night, caressing their sweet faces, praying over their souls, and wonder... how long do we have them for? When do we have to watch them suffer?
But, oh the beauty and joy of the Christian life! Suffering is still very painful, but we have a place to turn to, some ONE to go to. When pain doesn't make sense, when anxiety over a loved one clouds the horizon, when fear of the unknown makes us want to curl up in a ball and stick our fingers in the our ears and shut our eyes tight...
"For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father. The Spirit itself bears witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together. For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us." Romans 8:15-18
...and one of my favorite texts since a child: "Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness." Isaiah 41:10
So as our hearts are filled with Hadassah, and Calvin, and Isaac, and Marissa, and Carolyn, and others, we don't remain burdened. We have a Burden-Bearer. Behold! This is our God.
Thanks for putting into words what I find so difficult to do. We are blessed to have friends like you and a God like ours. And thanks for your regular phone calls to Hadassah. They are such an encouragement to her!
ReplyDelete